Spicy Garlic Jalapeño Hummus


1 Jalapeño seeded, chopped
5 Cloves of garlic
2 Tablespoons tahini
2 Cans garbanzo beans (do NOT drain juice)
1 Bunch cilantro
1 teaspoon cumin
Avocado (recommended), if desired, to taste
Cayenne pepper, if desired to taste
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Sauté jalapeño and garlic till soft.  Do not burn the garlic or you will get a bitter taste in your hummus.

Blend all ingredients in a food processor.

Best if eaten the next day.  The flavors meld together after a few hours, but it's definitely better the next day.


Source:
A friend I worked with Justin G. brought this to work one day.  He let me have a taste, and I was hooked.  If I remember right, he went on a business trip and left a container of it in the fridge at work and asked if I'd do him the favor of eating it, so it wouldn't go bad.  WOULD I?!?  :)  I ate it AND asked him for the recipe. 

Turns out that his wife Shannon had made this to copy something they had purchased at Trader Joe's.  Now, I've never been to Trader Joe's, but this stuff has got to TOP whatever it was they bought.  It's delicious!  THANK YOU SHANNON!  :)


1/4/23 - Original recipe called for 1 can.  I used 2 cans and really liked it.  I also never worry about the tahini.  It's pricey and I never use it to make anything else...so I leave it out.  It's still good.  Just make sure to blend till creamy.

1 serving (made as recipe shows, without tahini) = 1/3 cup
Calories              119 Calories
Total Fat             5.6 g
    Saturated Fat  0.7 g
Cholesterol         0 g
Sodium               78.9 mg
Total Carbs         14.7 g
    Fiber                5.7 g
    Sugars              2 g
Protein                 4.3 g

No comments: