Tomato and Spinach Pasta Toss

2 cups Penne pasta (7 oz), uncooked
1/2 lb. hot or mild Italian sausage, casing removed
1 pkg. (6 oz) baby spinach leaves (7 cups)
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano, undrained
Couple squirts of Italian Dressing, Zesty Italian is best if you have it
1 cup Shredded low-fat Mozzarella
2 Tbs. Grated Parmesan Cheese

Cook pasta as directed on package. Meanwhile, crumble meat into large deep skillet. Cook on medium-high heat until cooked through, stirring occasionally; drain.

Add spinach, tomatoes and dressing; cook 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cover to keep warm.

Drain pasta; place in a large serving bowl. Add meat mixture and cheeses; mix lightly.

Makes 6 servings, 1 cup each

Source: Food and Family (Kraft's (free) recipe magazine) - Winter 2007

COMMENTS: 7 cups of spinach sounds like alot! But it wilts down in no time at all, don't blink! HA. I'm not a big cooked spinach fan myself...but this is really good, I can't believe I'm saying that. I think it is the dressing that takes the spinachy taste out of the dish?

I've made it a couple times now and Tommy and I both like it. It's a good way to get your spinach in if you don't like it fresh or from a can.

No comments: