Potato Soup

5 to 6 medium potatoes, cubed
1/2 package of bacon
1 onion, chopped (as much as desired)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can corn and/or cream of corn, drained
Milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Cayenne Pepper (optional)

Cut bacon into thin strips. Sauté with onions until browned. Add potatoes and put enough water in to almost cover them. Bring to a boil. Let simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. (Not too tender because you will end up with mush.) Add canned soups and corn, if mixture is too thick add some mile; maybe ½ a soup can. Let simmer for about ½ an hour. Mash some potatoes if desired to make thicker. Add salt and pepper to taste and add cayenne pepper right before serving. Store extra in containers. WARNING: Cayenne pepper will seem spicier after storing in refrigerator. If desired serve with tortilla chips.

Source: Sherie K (My Mom)
***NOTE: This is one of my favorite cold weather staples. The girls like this...Tommy's not a huge fan.

I have to mention too though...the Cayenne and Chip thing was my contribution and is not part of the original recipe. I think it happened kind of on accident. I was in the mood for something a little spicy and the spicy flavor lent itself to the tortilla chips I had nearby...but the saltiness of the chips and the spicy soup and creamy texture actually all go better together than you would imagine.

If you are skeptical, make it without the cayenne and just try it in one bowl. Go easy on the Cayenne...you can always add more but cant take it out. :)

**Note: I tried freezing this and it didn't really work. You don't get the yummy creamy consistency when you re-heat this soup after it's been frozen. :(

1 comment:

Amy Tuck said...

I love this soup! And, i love that I found it on your blog. I am beginning to depend on your recipe blog a lot (so don't get rid of any thing--smile). Thanks for letting me benefit from your awesome organizational skills!! Miss you!