Gingerbread

1/2 cup Oil
1 Egg
2/3 cup Molasses
2 3/4 cups Flour
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/8 tsp Cloves
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Ginger
3 tsp Baking powder
1/3 cup Brown sugar

Frosting:
3 Egg whites
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
3 1/2 cups Powdered sugar

1 Mix the dry ingredients and mix the wet ingredients separately. Mix the 2 slowly to create the dough. Roll out into desired shape and cook. If making gingerbread houses roll the dough evenly onto one cookie sheet. After cooked, cut shapes out of the dough while it is still warm.

2 This frosting is the "glue" for the gingerbread houses. Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until thick and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and beat for 5 minutes on medium speed. Put into icing bags and pipe where needed.

I have the patterns for the gingerbread houses too...will try and remember to figure out a way to post them with this recipe soon. Will also try and find some good links to go with this too.

***STORY: I don't remember exactly when this became a family tradition...but sometime after we moved to Texas. All I know is that this THE tradition that I think I miss most now that I don't live in the same state as my Mom. Every year we got together to put our houses together. She would slave away a couple days before to make sure that we each got our OWN house to decorate.

You have to understand...at this point, it wasn't just us 6 kids, it was our spouses and more recently, our own kids. I think she must have spent the entire year looking for different candies...there were bowls and bowls of different candy. She definitely didn't want to stiffle our creativity! :D This is something that I want to try and find time to do in the near future with my own family and close friends.

They are always fun to look back at and give away to good friends each year. If you are family and you have any pics from past years...please email them!

No comments: