7 Layer Salad

Layer vegetables in order shown below (except cheese).  Mix topping ingredients together.  Spread over layered vegetables like frosting.  Sprinkle grated cheese over the top and refrigerate overnight.

Toss all ingredients together before serving. (Author Note:  I left out the celery --because my family doesn’t love celery, and the water chestnuts because my husband forgot them at the store…and this recipe was requested again by my family within a week.  Also shared with a family in my ward, they loved it too!)

Family Size:                                        

1/2 large head lettuce                              
8 oz frozen peas                                      
1/4 cup Green Onions, chopped             
1/4 cup Celery                                         
1 cup Mushrooms, sliced                        
1/2 can Water Chestnuts                          
1/2 lb Bacon
1/4 lb cheddar Cheese

Family Size Sauce:
1 cup Mayonnaise
Heaping 1/4 cup Sour Cream
3/4 Tablespoons Sugar
Dash to taste, Tabasco
Dash to taste, Worcestershire Sauce
Salt & Pepper, to taste

------------------------------------

Ward Social Size:    

1 large head lettuce                       
16 oz frozen peas                                     
1/2 cup Green Onions, chopped              
1/2 cup Celery                                         
2 cups Mushrooms, sliced                       
1 can Water Chestnuts                             
1 lb Bacon
1/2 lb cheddar Cheese


Ward Social Size Sauce:

2 cups (1 pint) Mayonnaise
3/4 cup Sour cream
1 1/2 Tablespoons Sugar
Dash to taste, Tabasco
Dash to taste, Worcestershire Sauce
Salt & Pepper, to taste

I made mine without the celery, because not everyone in my family likes it, and I didn't have water chestnuts at the time…so it’s technically a 5 layer salad for me.  It made a HUGE batch!  We will be eating on it for a couple days as a family.  So, I’m putting ingredients in for a full and half recipe. I think it would be really good with some fresh spinach put into it too.

This is one that will go in my cookbook "Recipes from the Beyond". It came from Kaye Welch. Her recipe was in a really old copy of a Paradise Ward Cookbook. :D

No comments: