Pork (or Chicken) Satay

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes

Served with its own dipping sauce, this tasty satay dish turns dinner into a festive event.  The pork can be broiled or grilled; if you don't have skewers (which I didn't), just broil the meat without them.

1/4 cup creamy trans-fat-free peanut butter
1/4 cup water
1 Tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 1/2 pounds pork cutlets (about 3/4 inch thick), cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips

Chicken would work well with this recipe too.
Special Equipment: 4 Metal Skewers

Heat oven to broil.

Whisk together peanut butter, water, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a mixing bowl.  Place pork in a separate mixing bowl, add 3 Tablespoons of the peanut butter sauce and toss to combine.  Reserve the remaining sauce.

Thread pork onto skewers and broil 4 minutes per side.  Place remaining sauce in dipping cups and serve with pork.

Makes 4 servings

Where did it come from:  I found this in The South Beach Diet Quick & Easy Cookbook (page 244).  You'll notice, it's a little over the calorie limit I set for the recipes I wanted to add here.  But it's well worth the extra 60 calories per serving.  And its excellent for that Phase I SB Dieter.  :)  This is GREAT!  If you like Thai food...this is along those lines.  I think it would have been good with a little cilantro served in a lettuce leaf wrap.  YUM!!!  Give it a try.

If I remember right, I loved this SO much when I made it, that I drove to my Mom/Sister's house so they could try it...RIGHT AWAY!  Yes, I'm a goofy food nerd.  They liked it, but I don't think they were quite as excited about it as me.  Hehe.

Nutrition at a Glance:
360 calories
18 g fat
5 g saturated fat
42 g protein
5 g carbohydrate
1 g dietary fiber
420 mg sodium

No comments: