Pork Chops Ole'

6 Loin Pork Chops (1/2 inch thick), trimmed
Salt Free Herb Seasoning Blend (and pepper to taste)
3/4 Cup Uncooked Long Grain Rice
1-1/2 Cups Water
1 can (8 oz) Tomato Sauce
2 Tbs Taco Seasoning Mix
1 Medium Green Pepper, Chopped
1/2 Cup Shredded Reduced-Fat Cheddar Cheese

In a large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, brown pork chops; sprinkle with seasoning blend and pepper. No need to cook through, just brown the outsides.

Meanwhile, in a 13 x 9 x 2-in baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Combine rice, water, tomato sauce and taco seasoning; mix well.

Arrange chops on top; sprinkle with green pepper. Cover and bake at 350 degrees. Check at 1 hour to see if done. Cook as long as 1.5 hours if needed. (My rice came out just a bit dry at 1.5 hours.)

Uncover and sprinkle with cheese; return to the oven until cheese is melted.

Yeild: 6 servings

Nutritional Information:
Calories 268
Total Fat 7 g
Calories from Fat 25%
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 61 mg
Sodium 487 mg
Carbohydrate 24 gm
Protein 25 g

Story: I got this a couple years ago from a lady I worked with as I was trying to get my Alt Cert for teaching. Mary Jo Peters...she was SUCH a great lady. I'd love to find her on FB or Linked In and see how she is doing! She had gotten this recipe from someone else as well and her family really liked it. :) Looks like it came out of a magazine, but no indication of what magazine.

THIS WAS SO FAST TO PREPARE! I LOVE THAT!

I might tweek this one just a little...although it was really good for a low fat recipe! Please note that it has some KICK to it. If your kids don't like spicy stuff, they might not like this. You could substitute chicken breast just as easily in this recipe. I also forgot to add the green bell pepper and it was good without it, just in case you didn't have one on hand.

NOW what will I do with that green pepper...Hmmm.

Enjoy!

No comments: