Lisa's Lemon Bars

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups (+1 Tbs, set aside) flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
4 large eggs (room temperature)
2 cups sugar
Grated rind of 1 large lemon
6 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325. Grease 9x13 baking pan. Beat together butter, powdered sugar, and 2 cups of flour until fluffy. Scrape mixture into the pan and smooth into an even layer. Bake for 15 minutes. Beat eggs and sugar until light. Add lemon rind and juice. Sprinkle the remaining flour and baking powder over all, then pour in the nuts, combine well. Pour lemon mixture onto the crust and bake for another 30 - 35 minutes. Cool slightly then cut into squares. Loosen edges before removing squares from pan.

Source: Meyer Lemon Plant tag

***STORY: I have to explain the source. Right after I moved in with Tommy, I told him I wanted a lemon plant. We were living in an apartment but decided we could put it out on the patio. We went to the nursery and picked one out called the Meyer Lemon. My Mother comes from the Meyer family and it was supposed to be a little sweeter than some of the other varieties, so that's what we got. When I got it home and planted it in a large pot, I removed the tag and before tossing it, I decided to read it. It had a recipe on the back. That year, I got several lemons in the fall and decided to try the recipe that came with my plant. It was delicious. Now its sort of a tradition that I make these lemon bars with the lemons from that plant. I still have the same plant too...now it is planted in the ground. So, I guess its about 5 or 6 years old now. I love my lemon plant....AW!

No comments: